Thursday, June 9, 2011

Ending with a flourish

I have a couple positions for you to look at from some of my recent games. The first position I will give the answer to, but the second one I will wait a few days before posting the answer. Try your best to solve both!

Position 1 - Difficulty: 2/10, white to move:


Answer will be posted in a comment.

Position 2 - Difficulty: 9/10, black to move:


The answer to this one is much more involved than the previous one. As such, I will give you a few days to work through it before I post the answer.

**EDIT** The answer to position 2 follows.

1. ...Bg4!!
Deep, precise, and devastating. The white queen has no squares.
2. hxg4 hxg4!
3. f5
Only way for white to keep playing on. This is where it is easy to get stuck since it is hard to find the follow-up.
3. ...Qh7!
This is actually the hard part.
4. Qf4
In the game, white played Qe4?? and then tipped the king over.
4. ...Rh8!
Here it is very difficult to find a move for white. I personally think that the best try for white is 5. Rff1!? making black earn it, but black should still be winning. Any differing opinions or comments?

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

The answer to position 1:

1. Rh5+!!

This leads directly to mate.

1. ...gxh5 (or ...Kg8)
2. Qg7#

Now try position 2!

Like Jeremy's Chess Adventures on facebook!

Custom Search