Monday, February 22, 2010

In the style of the old Masters

Game 3 of my match against George Eichhorn was an exceptionally interesting game to look at. I made a video post of some of my analysis for you all to look at and comment on. The match itself ended in a 2-2 draw. Home field advantage seemed insurmountable in this match, with George winning the two games in Stratford and me winning the two in Iowa City. I want to thank Jason for his assistance in verifying that the computers can't play the position after the sacrifice correctly. This game might end up being one of my crown jewels, so I hope that it can generate some discussion in the comments.


1 comment:

timcent said...

thanks for sharing the game. I am extremely familiar with that line as black as I studied/played that variation in college (before Fritz). George's mistake was e6; after which, he is definitely worse and might be lost. The problem with e6 is that black's pieces become disjointed with 1/2 the pieces on the q side and the other half on k side and primarily on the back rank.

If you remember our game from the last Closed, I was able to withstand your attack by castling q side, play Qe8 and Bd7. I would consider that position as relatively equal, though you giving away the pawn gave me an overwhelming advantage. Ok, back to your game.

I think you played a near-flawless game. I preferred Na5 to Nc5, but that is matter of taste as opposed to anything wrong with Nc5. Nxb7 is justified for variety of reasons, first, black's pieces are hopelessly tied up on the king side and white has all the time in the world to finish his attack. Black has no attack to speak of himself and his king is trapped on the q side.

I am not surprised that Fritz does not evaluate the position correctly as I have found several of my games in this variation incorrectly evaluated. The best one (I think I published it in EP) was when Fritz gave white a slight edge on move 10, then gave me a slight edge on move 12 and then gave me +5 on move 18 and nothing had been taken yet.

Congrats on a great game! I look forward to your next analysis.
Tim

Like Jeremy's Chess Adventures on facebook!

Custom Search