Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hugh Myers Open and the Best. Combo. Ever.

**UPDATED WITH ANSWER AT BOTTOM**

First note, I posted the solutions to the previous problems in the last post, so feel free to look at them. As for today, I ended up t-1st at the Hugh Myers tournament, with 3/4. Now to the cool part. I played one of the most incredible combinations of my chess career in the last round. I am going to give you the position tonight and will post the solution on Monday night to give you some time to look it over.

Black to move and get a string of !!s:



Solution:

Are you sure you can handle this?

Really?

Ok, I warned you.

1. ...Nh5!!

a. 2. Rxe5?? Rf1# 0-1
b. 2. Rxh5?? Rf1# 0-1
c. 2. Qe1 Rxf5! 3. exf5 Nf3+!! loses K or Q.
d. 2. Qe3 Bc5! winning.
e. 2. Rxf8+ Rxf8 doesn't solve anything either.
f. 2. Qf2 Rxf5! 3. exf5 Ng4! also winning shortly.
g. 2. Qxe5 Qxe5! and the queen cannot be recaptured due to Rf1#.

2. Qg5 Rxf5!!

a. 3. Qxf5 Rf8! winning easily.
b. 3. Qxe7?? Rf1#

3. exf5 Nf3+!!

a. 4. Kf2 Nxg5 winning
b. 4. Kh1 Nxg5 also winning

4. gxf3 Qe1+! 5. Kg2 Qf1#

I actually missed the mate and played 5. ...Bf1+, which is also entirely resignable for white.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'll have to look at it some more, but it must be a really remarkable combo. I can't even figure out the idea yet besides some random checks that don't seem to do much.

Anonymous said...

Amazing. Somehow Nh5 had escaped me entirely, but it's very logical. I looked at other knight moves but somehow missed that one, maybe because it's putting it on the edge or something.

Anonymous said...

My name is Brian Myers Son of the late Hugh Myers. If you or anyone is interested in his Chess Bulletins They can contact me @ tan9168@aol.com

Like Jeremy's Chess Adventures on facebook!

Custom Search